At Sun Health, employees are encouraged to pursue professional growth within the organization and educational opportunities throughout their careers. We know that growing employees are happy employees. Sun Health is committed to supporting your personal and professional development. If you qualify you can receive financial support through education discounts, tuition reimbursement, and other scholarships towards your degree or certification program at an accredited college, university, or technical institute. Sun Health is constantly working with education partners in our community to provide our employees with education opportunities.
Team members can qualify for up to $1,000-$2000 a year in tuition reimbursement from Sun Health if they have been employed for 6 consecutive months.
- Team members must complete six (6) months of consecutive employment and can request reimbursement for courses with a start date after the 6 months eligibility wait period has been completed.
- Be a full-time or part-time team member. P.R.N. team members are not eligible.
- This program applies to courses taken through accredited colleges, universities, or technical institutes. Tuition reimbursement does not cover continuing education, professional certifications, or license renewal reimbursement. See your location HR representative for more information on items not covered by Tuition Reimbursement.
- Prior approval is required before the course starts.
- A full-time team member can be reimbursed up to $500.00 per class with a maximum reimbursement of $2,000.00 within a twelve (12) month rolling period.
- A part-time team member can be reimbursed up to $250.00 per class with a maximum reimbursement of $1,000.00 within a twelve (12) month rolling period.
- Courses must be completed with a C or better grade.
- Tuition reimbursement will not be reimbursed to team members’ tuition or books if it was already been paid from another source, e.g. a Sun Health Community/Resident or other scholarships.
- Reimbursement can be requested for books as soon as they are purchased. To be reimbursed for tuition the team member will be required to provide proof of payment for the course and the final grades with their completed Tuition Reimbursement Form and Employee Expense Reimbursement Form.
See complete program details in the below attachments:
Effective January 1, 2023 the Tuition Reimbursement policy will be updated to reflect the following changes:
- A full-time team member will be able to request up to $1,000.00 per class with a maximum reimbursement of $5,000.00 within a twelve (12) month rolling period.
- A part-time team member will be able to request up to $500.00 per class with a maximum reimbursement of $2,500.00 within a twelve (12) month rolling period.
Resident Sponsored Scholarships:
The three communities have resident-sponsored and managed Employee Scholarship programs for employees of the community. Team members are eligible to apply for Resident Sponsored Scholarships at their designated campus as well as the other financial support opportunities (Warren D. Ruff, Tuition Reimbursement. et cetera) not in excess of their semester costs. Please contact the representative delegated for each community below for more information:
Grandview Terrace: Bob Smith (623) 266-7812 or at email@example.com
La Loma Village: Maile Bottorf-Wilkinson at Maile.Wilkinson@sunhealth.org
The Colonnade: Donna Rodriguez at Donna.Rodriguez@sunhealth.org
Warren D. Ruff Scholarship
The Warren D. Ruff Scholarship Fund, totaling $6.4 million (with the intent that 5% will be awarded each year), opens new doors of opportunity for these employees to pursue their passion and help fill the critical need for more trained nurses and nursing-related health professionals who live and work in Arizona.
Because of the exceptional care he received, Mr. Ruff desired that the primary purpose of the scholarship be to supply nurses to Arizona. During the last decade of his life, Mr. Ruff was deeply grateful to the former Sun Health Boswell and Del E. Webb hospitals and people who delivered this care, and they became endeared to him.
Eligibility and Application Details:
Employees at Sun Health, Banner Boswell, and Banner Del E. Webb medical centers who wish to pursue or further a career in nursing or a nursing-related health profession now have the opportunity to apply for tuition (and related costs) support for their educational journey.
All candidates, including those who may not yet have but will be enrolling, must enroll in an accredited educational institution that awards degrees or certificates to students studying nursing and nursing-related health professions. We are looking for students who demonstrate good character and dedication towards the noble nursing profession who are in good standing in their program. Scholarship awards from the Warren D. Ruff Scholarship Fund may be renewed. It will hold two application cycles annually generally in April for awards to be distributed for the Fall semester and September-October for the Spring semester. Priority will be given, but not exclusively, to nurses and nursing candidates at Sun Health, Banner Boswell, and Banner Del E. Webb medical centers who wish to pursue or further a career in nursing or a nursing-related health profession. Historically, individual awards have ranged from approximately $500-$3,000 per semester.
The Spring 2023 semester application cycle closed October 31, 2022. The Fall 2023 semester application cycle will be open approximately April 2023.
Additional information as well as the link to the application can be found on the Sun Health Foundation website here.
Any additional questions that are not answered on the Sun Health Foundation website can be directed to Heather Grizzard at Heather.Grizzard@SunHealth.org
Education Discounts *NEW*
Grand Canyon University
Sun Health is proud to announce our partnership with Grand Canyon University (GCU) as a Canyon Healthcare Education Collaborative (CHEC) partner. This partnership provides a 10% tuition discount for Sun Health team members and a 5% discount for spouses and dependents. This discount can be combined with Sun Health programs such as Resident Sponsored and Warren D. Ruff scholarships, as well as tuition reimbursement. Current GCU students are able to take advantage of this new discount going forward, but not retroactively, but please see the Restrictions section below. Additionally, the discount applies for all the following:
- Part and full-time students
- All 150+ online or in-person academic programs offered by GCU
- All degree levels: bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral
- Certificate programs and single courses
- The CHEC discount cannot be combined with any other GCU discount or scholarship, but GCU will work with you to confirm what program will provide you with the most financial support. The discount CAN be combined with other Sun Health programs such as Tuition Reimbursement, Resident Scholarships, and Warren D. Ruff Nursing scholarships.
- The CHEC discount cannot be used on the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program.
- Other restrictions may apply
More information will be available in the coming months including:
For more information or a free credit evaluation please contact Sun Health’s GCU representative, Michelle Deortentiis, at 602-639-7121 or Michelle.Deortentiis@gce.com
Internal questions about the programs and how it relates to other Sun Health programs can be directed to Erin McKee at Erin.McKee@SunHealth.org.
Sun Health is partnered with multiple high school districts and universities and is happy to connect current employees with internship opportunities. If you, or a student in your life, are looking for an opportunity please contact Erin McKee at Erin.McKee@SunHealth.org
Come back soon for more information!
Career Opportunities & Employee Referral Bonus
Sun Health employees are encouraged to pursue professional growth within the organization and training opportunities throughout their careers. We know that growing employees are vibrant employees and Sun Health is committed to supporting your personal and professional development. Information about career opportunities and the Employee Referral Bonus program can be found in the HR Center> Career Opportunities & Referral Bonus tab.